[Python-Dev] Bytes path support

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sat Aug 23 18:33:06 CEST 2014

"R. David Murray" <rdmurray at bitdance.com>:

> The same problem existed in python2 if your goal was to produce a stream
> with a consistent encoding, but now python3 treats that as an error.

I have a different interpretation of the situation: as a rule, use byte
strings in Python3. Text strings are a special corner case for
applications that have to deal with human languages.

If your application has to talk SMTP, use bytes.

If your application has to do IPC, use bytes.

If your application has to do file I/O, use bytes.

If your application is a word processor or an IM client, you have text
strings available. You might find, though, that barely any modern GUI
application is satisfied with crude text strings. You will need weights,
styles, sizes, emoticons, positions, directions, shadows, alignment etc
etc so it may be that Python's text strings are only good enough for
storing individual characters or short snippets.

In sum, Python's text strings might have one sweet spot: Usenet clients.

Marko