[Python-Dev] surrogatepass - she's a witch, burn 'er! [was: Cleaning up ...]

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Aug 29 14:18:34 CEST 2014

On 29.08.2014 13:22, Isaac Morland wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2014, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> On 29.08.2014 02:41, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>> Since Python allows working with lone surrogates in Unicode (they
>> are valid code points) and we're using UTF-8 for marshal, we needed
>> a way to make sure that Python 3 also optionally supports working
>> with lone surrogates in such UTF-8 streams (nowadays called CESU-8:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CESU-8).
>
> If I want that wouldn't I specify "cesu-8" as the encoding?
>
> i.e., instead of .decode ('utf-8') I would use .decode ('cesu-8').  Right now, trying this I get
> that cesu-8 is an unknown encoding but that could be changed without affecting the behaviour of the
> utf-8 codec.

Why write a new codec that's almost identical to the utf-8 codec,
if you can get the same functionality by explicitly using a
special error handler ?

>From a maintenance POV that does not sound like a good approach.

> It seems to me that .decode ('utf-8') should decode exactly and only valid utf-8, including the
> non-use of surrogate pairs as an intermediate encoding step.

It does in Python 3.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 29 2014)
2014-08-27: Released eGenix PyRun 2.0.1 ...       http://egenix.com/go62
2014-09-19: PyCon UK 2014, Coventry, UK ...                21 days to go
2014-09-27: PyDDF Sprint 2014 ...                          29 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/