[Python-Dev] RFC: PEP 475, Retry system calls failing with EINTR

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sun Aug 31 23:19:15 CEST 2014

Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>:

> Sorry but I don't understand your remark. What is your problem with
> retrying syscall on EINTR?

The application will often want the EINTR return (exception) instead of
having the function resume on its own.

> Can you please elaborate? What do you mean by "get wrong"?

Proper handling of signals is difficult and at times even impossible.
For example it is impossible to wake up reliably from the select(2)
system call when a signal is generated (which is why linux now has
pselect).

Marko