[Python-Dev] My thinking about the development process

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 16:30:52 CET 2014

On 7 December 2014 at 00:11, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Fri Dec 05 2014 at 8:31:27 PM R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> That's probably the biggest issue with *anyone* contributing to tracker
>> maintenance, and if we could solve that, I think we could get more
>> people interested in helping maintain it.  We need the equivalent of
>> dev-in-a-box for setting up for testing proposed changes to
>> bugs.python.org, but including some standard way to get it deployed so
>> others can look at a live system running the change in order to review
>> the patch.
>

> Maybe it's just me and all the Docker/Rocket hoopla that's occurred over the
> past week, but this just screams "container" to me which would make getting
> a test instance set up dead simple.

It's not just you (and Graham Dumpleton has even been working on
reference images for Apache/mod_wsgi hosting of Python web services:
http://blog.dscpl.com.au/2014/12/hosting-python-wsgi-applications-using.html)

You still end up with Vagrant as a required element for Windows and
Mac OS X, but that's pretty much a given for a lot of web service
development these days.

Cheers,
Nick.