[Python-Dev] My thinking about the development process

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 02:23:29 CET 2014

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 8:01 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> One potential solution is Phabricator (http://phabricator.org) which is a
> gerrit like tool except it also works with Mercurial. It is a fully open
> source platform though it works on a “patch” bases rather than a pull
> request basis.

I've been pleasantly unsurprised with the ReviewBoard CLI tools (RBtools):

* https://www.reviewboard.org/docs/rbtools/dev/
* https://www.reviewboard.org/docs/codebase/dev/contributing-patches/
* https://www.reviewboard.org/docs/manual/2.0/users/

ReviewBoard supports Markdown, {Git, Mercurial, Subversion, ... },
full-text search

* https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Reviewboard+Plugin
* [ https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Selenium+Plugin ]
*
https://github.com/saltstack/salt-testing/blob/develop/salttesting/jenkins.py
  * GetPullRequestAction
  * https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/saltstack-plugin (spin up
an instance)
  * https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/jenkins-formula
  * https://github.com/saltstack/salt-jenkins

> Terry spoke about CLAs, which is an interesting thing too, because
> phabricator itself has some workflow around this I believe, at least one of
> the examples in their tour is setting up some sort of notification about
> requiring a CLA. It even has a built in thing for signing legal documents
> (although I’m not sure if that’s acceptable to the PSF, we’d need to ask
> VanL I suspect). Another neat feature, although I’m not sure we’re actually
> setup to take advantage of it, is that if you run test coverage numbers you
> can report that directly inline with the review / diff to see what lines of
> the patch are being exercised by a test or not.

AFAIU, these are not (yet) features of ReviewBoard (which is written in
Python).

> I’m not sure if it’s actually workable for us but it probably should be
> explored a little bit to see if it is and if it might be a good solution.
> They also have a copy of it running which they develop phabricator itself
> on (https://secure.phabricator.com/) though they also accept pull
> requests on github.

What a good looking service.