[Python-Dev] Tracker test instances (was: My thinking about the development process)

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 02:49:16 CET 2014

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 10:11 AM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 15:21:46 +0000, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> > On Sat Dec 06 2014 at 10:07:50 AM Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io>
> wrote:

> rdmurray at bitdance.com>
> tracker
> so
> review

> over
> make
> > >
> > > Heh, one of my thoughts on deploying the bug tracker into production
> was
> > > via a container, especially since we have multiple instances of it. I
> got
> > > side tracked on getting the rest of the infrastructure readier for a
> web
> > > application and some improvements there as well as getting a big
> postgresql
> > > database cluster set up (2x 15GB RAM servers running in Primary/Replica
> > > mode). The downside of course to this is that afaik Docker is a lot
> harder
> > > to use on Windows and to some degree OS X than linux. However if the
> > > tracker could be deployed as a docker image that would make the
> > > infrastructure side a ton easier. I also have control over the python/
> > > organization on Docker Hub too for whatever uses we have for it.
> > >

> > I think it's something worth thinking about, but like you I don't know if
> > the containers work on OS X or Windows (I don't work with containers
> > personally).
>
> (Had to fix the quoting there, somebody's email program got it wrong.)
>
> For the tracker, being unable to run a test instance on Windows would
> likely not be a severe limitation.  Given how few Windows people we get
> making contributions to CPython, I'd really rather encourage them to
> work there, rather than on the tracker.  OS/X is a bit more problematic,
> but it sounds like it is also a bit more doable.
>
> On the other hand, what's the overhead on setting up to use Docker?  If
> that task is non-trivial, we're back to having a higher barrier to
> entry than running a dev-in-a-box script...
>
> Note also in thinking about setting up a test tracker instance we have
> an additional concern: it requires postgres, and needs either a copy of
> the full data set (which includes account data/passwords which would
> need to be creatively sanitized) or a fairly large test data set.  I'd
> prefer a sanitized copy of the real data.

FactoryBoy would make generating issue tracker test fixtures fairly simple:

http://factoryboy.readthedocs.org/en/latest/introduction.html#lazyattribute

There are probably lots of instances of free-form usernames in issue
tickets;
which some people may or may not be comfortable with,
considering that the data is and has always been public.