[Python-Dev] datetime nanosecond support (ctd?)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Dec 11 20:14:27 CET 2014

Another issue to consider here is that parsing and printing should be
symmetrical. The %f format gobbles up exactly 6 digits.

Finally, strptime and strftime are not invented by Python, the same
functions with (mostly) the same format characters are defined by other
languages. Is there not a single other language that has added support for
nanoseconds to its strftime/strptime? (I wouldn't be surprised if there
wasn't -- while computer clocks have a precision in nanoseconds, that
doesn't mean they are that *accurate* at all (even with ntpd running).

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Matthieu Bec <mdcb808 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...or keep using "%f" if acceptable...
>
> That might be a problem. While it will probably work most of the time,
> there are likely to be situations where the caller assumes it
> generates a six-digit string. I did a little poking around. It seems
> like "%N" isn't used.
>
> Skip

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)