[Python-Dev] Python 2.x and 3.x use survey, 2014 edition

Mark Roberts wizzat at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 19:24:15 CET 2014

So, I'm more than aware of how to write Python 2/3 compatible code. I've
ported 10-20 libraries to Python 3 and write Python 2/3 compatible code at
work. I'm also aware of how much writing 2/3 compatible code makes me hate
Python as a language. It'll be a happy day when one of the two languages
dies so that I never have to write code like that again. However, my point
was that just because the core libraries by usage are *starting* to roll
out Python 3 support doesn't mean that things are "easy" or "convenient"
yet. There are too many libraries in the long tail which fulfill
semi-common purposes and haven't been moved over yet. Yeah, sure, they
haven't been updated in years... but neither has the language they're built
on.

I suppose what I'm saying is that the long tail of libraries is far more
valuable than it seems the Python3 zealots are giving it credit for. Please
don't claim it's "easy" to move over just because merely most of the top 20
libraries have been moved over. :-/

-Mark