[Python-Dev] Python 2.x and 3.x use survey, 2014 edition

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Dec 13 05:55:26 CET 2014

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 10:24:15AM -0800, Mark Roberts wrote:
> So, I'm more than aware of how to write Python 2/3 compatible code. I've
> ported 10-20 libraries to Python 3 and write Python 2/3 compatible code at
> work. I'm also aware of how much writing 2/3 compatible code makes me hate
> Python as a language.

I'm surprised by the strength of feeling there.

Most of the code I write supports 2.4+, with the exception of 3.0 where
I say "it should work, but if it doesn't, I don't care". I'll be *very*
happy when I can drop support for 2.4, but with very few exceptions I
have not found many major problems supporting both 2.7 and 3.3+ in the
one code-base, and nothing I couldn't work around (sometimes by just
dropping support for a specific feature in certain versions).

I'm not disputing that your experiences are valid, but I am curious what
specific issues you have come across and wondering if there are things
which 3.5 can include to ease that transition. E.g. 3.3 re-added support
for u'' syntax.

--
Steven