[Python-Dev] Python 2.x and 3.x use survey, 2014 edition

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 06:40:07 CET 2014

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> So that's basically it, lowest common demoniator programming where it's hard to
> look at the future and see anything but the same (or similar) language subset
> that I'm currently using. This is especially frustrating when you see other
> languages doing cool and interesting new things and it feels like we're stuck
> with what we had in 2008 or 2010.

That's what happens when you want to support a version of Python that
was released in 2008 or 2010. Perhaps the impetus for people to move
onto Python 3 has to come from people like you saying "I'm not going
to support 2.7 any more as of version X.Y", and letting them run two
interpreters. It's really not that hard to keep 2.7 around for what
expects it, and 3.4/3.5/whatever for everything else.

ChrisA