[Python-Dev] Python 2.x and 3.x use survey, 2014 edition

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 07:34:47 CET 2014

On 16 December 2014 at 16:03, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ben Finney <ben+python <at> benfinney.id.au> writes:
>>
>> > Rather, the claim is that *if* one's code base doesn't migrate to
>> > Python 3, it will be decreasingly supported by the PSF and the
>> > Python community at large.
>>
>> The PSF doesn't support any versions of Python. We have effectively no
>> involvement in the development of Python the language, or CPython. We
>> certainly don't care what version of Python you use.
>
> Okay, I was under the impression that the entity blessing Python
> releases as “official” is the PSF. What is that entity, then?

The PSF controls the trademark, but its the comparatively informal
collective known as python-dev (ultimately helmed by Guido) that makes
the technical decisions.

To the degree with which the latter body is formally defined by
anything, it's defined by PEP 1.

> Whatever entity is the one which makes “this is an official release of
> Python the language”, and “support for Python version A.B will end on
> YYYY-MM-DD”, that's the entity I meant.

That would be the release managers for the respective CPython releases
(in collaboration with the rest of python-dev).

Cheers,
Nick.