[Python-Dev] Python 2.x and 3.x use survey, 2014 edition

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Tue Dec 16 20:58:36 CET 2014

Mark Roberts <wizzat at gmail.com>:

> it's outright insulting to be told my complaints about writing 2/3
> compatible code are invalid on the basis of "premature optimization".

IMO, you should consider forking your library code for Python2 and
Python3. The multidialect code will look unidiomatic for each dialect.
When the critical mass favors Python3 (possibly within a couple of
years), the transition will be as total and quick as from VHS to DVDs.
At that point, a multidialect library would seem quaint, while a
separate Python2 fork can simply be left behind (bug fixes only).

Marko