[Python-Dev] The docstring hack for signature information has to go

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Tue Feb 4 11:21:51 CET 2014

On 02/04/2014 01:41 AM, Georg Brandl wrote:
> Clever, but due to the "hidden" space it also increases the frustration factor
> for people trying to find out "why is this accepted as a signature and not this".
>
> I don't think a well-chosen visible separator is worse off, such as "--\n".

I could live with that.  To be explicit: the signature would then be of
the form

    <name-of-function(...)\n--\n

The scanning function would look for "<name-of-function>(" at the
front.  If it found it it'd scan forwards in the docstring for
")\n--\n".  If it found *that*, then it would declare success.

//arry/