[Python-Dev] Fwd: [python-tulip] Need help to finish asyncio documentation

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Mon Feb 10 21:47:00 CET 2014

In article
<CAP7+vJKmBPYU_E+4TyC3X6oFC_ydmd9K9PXk8atoLL6oJ_8FeA at mail.gmail.com>,
 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> We could really use more help reviewing and finishing asyncio's docs!
> http://docs.python.org/dev/library/asyncio.html

I think the documentation desperately needs an overview. I find it very
confusing without one. I guess the links to PEPs are intended to be
that, but it would be much more helpful to include the overview in the
documentation.

I think a bit of re-ordering of topics could also help:
- One of the first things presented is a discussion of event loop
policy, even though most users will never need to change the policy.
Couldn't this go at the end?
- It tells how to create and set event loops, with no hint as to why one
would want to do that. Is it common to have multiple event loops? A
related oddity: what is the point of
BaseEventLoop.run_until_complete(future)? It sounds interesting but
obscure (unless it applies to one of many event loops).

In other words: if it was possible to show basic usage of event loops
early, then discuss how to do the fancy stuff (new event loops, new even
loop policies later) that might help.

BaseEventLoop.stop() says:
"Every callback scheduled before stop() is called will run."
but it does not say WHEN it will run -- immediately due to the stop, or
normally as if stop was never called?

That said, I am very excited to have this functionality. I have been
sticking with Python 2 for now, but this feature may entice me to make
the switch.

-- Russell