[Python-Dev] Is the PIP requirement too strict?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Feb 12 01:26:06 CET 2014

To follow up, Ned diagnosed this for me off-list. The cause was my recent
upgrade to Mavericks, which causes the Xcode 5 command line tools to be
installed differently. In case others have the same issue, the solution was
to run:

xcode-select --install

(and accept the dialog box it pops up). This is a common issue with
Mavericks and open-source projects (not just Python); Ned will add
something to the README.

--Guido

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:

> In article
> <CAP7+vJ+3sxE6LNt8QeHdni3-E4RwNTpqLVqNsGKLppCMWGA=yw at mail.gmail.com>,
>  Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > I don't happen to have OpenSSL configured on my OSX dev box right now.
> This
> > usually leads to some warnings during the build stage and obviously
> various
> > ssl-based tests don't work, but I can still get other stuff done.
>
> As a side note, you shouldn't have to configure OpenSSL to build any of
> the current branches of Python on OS X systems.  It should build
> gracefully with the Apple-supplied headers and libssl/libcrypto, modulo
> possible deprecation warnings in the recent releases of OS X.
>
> --
>  Ned Deily,
>  nad at acm.org

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)