[Python-Dev] MSI installer won't install on WinXP-SP2 (was Re: [RELEASED] Python 3.4.0 release candidate 1)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 22:26:26 CET 2014

On 12 February 2014 20:38, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It *does* seem that Python and Windows is becoming a sadder story
>> -- I know, use Linux. :-)
>
> Actually, we've been substantially improving the Windows integration to make
> things easier for new users, which is the main reason the Windows installer
> has become substantially less tolerant of corruption of the registry state
> (which is effectively what occurs when you just delete the Python directory
> instead of uninstalling it through Add/Remove programs).

Agreed, I feel that the user's experience of Python on Windows has
been steadily improving. Thanks to everyone for this.

The one thing that I sometimes miss is a "portable" distribution
(i.e., unzip and run, do any PATH manipulation etc that you want
yourself). But it's easy to make one yourself, so no real issue there.

Paul