[Python-Dev] MSI installer won't install on WinXP-SP2 (was Re: [RELEASED] Python 3.4.0 release candidate 1)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Feb 13 00:42:15 CET 2014

On 2/12/2014 3:38 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> Just deleting the Python directory hasn't been the right thing to do in
> a very long time - it leaves cruft in the registry at the very least
> (that will confuse other tools into thinking Python is still installed),
> and since Python 3.3 will also leave the Python Launcher for Windows
> installed.
>
> Using Add/Remove programs instead of just deleting directories is a
> general Windows administration requirement for MSI installers, so
> there's no reason to add a specific note.

In windows 7, Add/Remove is not Programs and Features. Looking there, I
found an entry for .0b2 that should have been removed by the .0b3
install, but was not. When I tried to uninstall .0b2, I got the same box
about not being able to run something. I downloaded the .0b2 installer
from www.python.org/ftp/python/3.4.0/, repaired the .0b2 installation,
and then uninstalled it, and the entry disappeared. I was then able to
install 64bit .0c1. So I conclude that a glitch in the .0b3
installation, leaving a bit of .0b2, made .0c1 unable to uninstall .0b3
properly.

--
Terry Jan Reedy