[Python-Dev] python 3 niggle: None < 1 raises TypeError

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Feb 18 16:45:52 CET 2014

On 2/18/2014 12:11 AM, Greg Ewing wrote:

> Nobody is asking for a return to the arbitrary-but-
> [in]consistent mess of Python 2, only to bring
> back *one* special case, i.e. None comparing less
> than everything else.

For a < None, that is only the fallback rule if a does not handle the
comparison. The result is a mess, including a possible inconsistency
between direct comparison and cmp. See my previous posts.

'Bringing back' what was or an improved version would be a semantic
change that could break code and would require a two-version deprecation
period.

--
Terry Jan Reedy