[Python-Dev] python 3 niggle: None < 1 raises TypeError

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Tue Feb 18 18:20:15 CET 2014

On 02/18/2014 02:08 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> This is not garbage data, it's just missing information for
> a particular field [...]

I think the basic problem is that None was over-used (or even mis-used?) to the point where 3.0 had to make a choice to
bring consistency back to the language.

It seems to me what we really need is either a Null singleton to represent a data point with no known value but that can
still be sorted, or have every data type able to represent a no-value state (datetime, I'm looking at you!).

--
~Ethan~