[Python-Dev] Python 3.4: Cherry-picking into rc2 and final

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed Feb 19 19:00:43 CET 2014

Am 19.02.2014 16:50, schrieb Guido van Rossum:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 1:42 AM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net
> <mailto:g.brandl at gmx.net>> wrote:
>
>     Am 19.02.2014 00:54, schrieb Barry Warsaw:
>     > On Feb 19, 2014, at 12:38 AM, Matthias Klose wrote:
>     >
>     >>Am 17.02.2014 00:25, schrieb Larry Hastings:
>     >>> And my local branch will remain private until 3.4.0 final ships!
>     >>
>     >>sorry, but this is so wrong. Is there *any* reason why to keep this branch
>     >>private?
>     >
>     > IMO, no.  read-only for !larry sure, but not private.
>
>     I emphatically agree.  There is no need at all for secrecy, or paranoia.
>
>     And it is very understandable that vendors (or even "just" our binary
>     building experts) want to make as many tests with what will be RC2 and
>     then final as they can, to catch possible issues before release.
>

> That's why it's RC2 and not 3.4final, right? Once Larry says it's baked,
> everyone *will* have a chance to test it. What value is a preview of the preview
> really going to add?

Ned told me just a few days ago that he does regular pre-tag builds of the OSX
installers, and as for the Debian/Ubuntu side Barry can say more.  The thing
with the RCs is that as long as you add patches during the RC phase (which is
more or less unavoidable if the schedule is to be kept), the state of the
release branch can only profit from more eyes.

> Give Larry some trust and freedom to do things in the way that makes him
> comfortable.

I have no doubts that Larry will make 3.4 the best Python yet :)  So far he
has discussed most of his procedures with us, so I don't see a reason not to
weigh in here.

Georg