[Python-Dev] cherry pick a change to Enum

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 12:42:18 CET 2014

On 21 February 2014 20:29, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 00:36:09 -0800
> Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>>
>> Discussion
>> ==========
>>
>> Is there a valid reason to not allow a user to modify how their enums are pickled?
>>
>> If not, should we put the change in RC2 / Final?  The main reason I'm pushing for this is that Enum is still new, but
>> after 3.4.0 is cut we then have to deal with backwards compatibility issues.
>
> I think this should be cherry-picked.
> (but see my comment on the issue)

That course of action makes sense to me, too. While we ideally want to
catch design bugs during beta, the fact is that we sometime won't
notice them until the release candidate phase, and it makes sense to
fix them before the final release.

However, it also makes sense to discuss the corner cases here before
deciding how to proceed, and if we uncover any more after rc2, such a
change would probably be a trigger for a 3rd release candidate
(although that would ultimately be Larry's call as release manager).

Cheers,
Nick.