[Python-Dev] PEP 463: Exception-catching expressions

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 16:52:59 CET 2014

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 1:34 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> While I like the general concept, I agree that it looks too much like a
> crunched statement; the use of the colon is a non-starter for me. I'm sure
> I'm not the only one whose brain has been trained to view a colon in Python
> to mean "statement", period. This goes against that syntactic practice and
> just doesn't work for me.
>
> I'm -1 with the current syntax, but it can go into the + range if a better
> syntax can be chosen.

We bikeshedded that extensively on -ideas. The four best options are:

value = (expr except Exception: default)
value = (expr except Exception -> default)
value = (expr except Exception pass default)
value = (expr except Exception then default)

Note that the last option involves the creation of a new keyword.

Would any of the others feel better to you?

ChrisA