[Python-Dev] Python 3.4: Cherry-picking into rc2 and final

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Feb 22 04:57:48 CET 2014

Antoine Pitrou writes:
 > On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 10:24:16 +0900
 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
 > >
 > > The argument that a "read-only, no cherrypicking by committers" repo
 > > is nothing but a better tarball is valid, but as I say, AFAICS the
 > > expected gain is pretty marginal.  The conflict here is not Larry's
 > > process, it's the decision to make an ambitious release on a short
 > > time schedule.
 >
 > I don't really buy the "short time schedule" argument. The delay
 > between 3.3 and 3.4 is ~18 months as usual.

"Short" here isn't relative to calendar time nor to the development
cycle length.  It's relative to the time needed to properly beta and
RC an "ambitious" set of changes, with more than the usual number of
patches during RC AFAIK, and the time allowed for that testing.  I'm
not saying it isn't enough time, but I certainly think that more time
or a less ambitious release would make folks feel more comfortable,
and less apt to suggest changes in a release process at this late date.

My point is that I don't think that changing Larry's process would
make a big difference to our ability to test the release candidates,
Ubuntu deadlines not withstanding.