[Python-Dev] PEP 461: Adding % formatting to bytes and bytearray -- Final, Take 2

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Feb 24 21:06:23 CET 2014

On 02/24/2014 11:54 AM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 24/02/2014 18:40, Ethan Furman wrote:
>>
>> So, any last thoughts about %a?
>
> I placed it under your nose https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2014-January/131636.html but personally I
> wouldn't lose any sleep whether it stays or goes.

So you did, sorry I forgot about it.

So the argument, then, is that %a should be included because it is present in str?

Note that %r, while it works for str, is rejected from this proposal (primarily because of the possibility of having
non-ASCII characters); while %a doesn't suffer from that possibility (obviously ;) , I think the case needs to be made
that %a is useful for including ... in a mixed binary/ASCII format, but so far nobody has filled in the ... .

--
~Ethan~