[Python-Dev] Running 2.7 tests on OS X

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Feb 25 12:49:23 CET 2014

Hi Rik,

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:25:27 +0100
Rik <gitaarik at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to try to submit a patch for 2.7, but I don't know how to run the
> tests for the 2.7 branch. `./configure` doesn't seem to create a
> `python.exe` file on the 2.7 branch on OS X Mavericks, and I do need this
> file according to this guide:
> http://docs.python.org/devguide/

To quote the devguide, the complete command is:

  ./configure --with-pydebug && make -j2

which you can decompose into:

  ./configure --with-pydebug
  make -j2

(note: "--with-pydebug" is kind of optional, but enables many debugging
guards and assertions that help catch low-level issues; it also makes
the resulting executable slower, somewhere between 2x and 10x slower)

python.exe will be created by the "make" step, not the "./configure"
step.

(as a side note, "-j2" means two processes will be used concurrently
for compiling; you can adjust according to the number of CPU cores in
your system)

Regards

Antoine.