[Python-Dev] GSOC 2014 - IDLE Project

Saimadhav Heblikar saimadhavheblikar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 17:59:18 CET 2014

Hi,

Saimadhav Heblikar here.I would like to express my interest in working on
IDLE improvement project as a part of Google Summer of Code 2014 for Python
Core projects under the Python Software Foundation.I am currently a
freshman Computer Science undergraduate student at  PESIT , Bangalore.

Similar to most Python programmers, i started my python journey on IDLE,and
once i came to know that IDLE was one of the prospective projects,i knew
this was great opportunity to give back to IDLE and the community as whole.

I have created an account on the bug tracker and submitted the PSF
contributor agreement.My username on the tracker is sahutd(saimadhav
heblikar) http://bugs.python.org/user18939. I use the same nickname on the
IRC channel.

To enhance my understanding of the codebase, i have submitted few patches,

some which have been committed

http://bugs.python.org/issue20634

http://bugs.python.org/issue20677

and some which are under review

http://bugs.python.org/issue20403 (IDLE related)

http://bugs.python.org/issue20640 (Adds IDLE unittest)

http://bugs.python.org/issue20451

http://bugs.python.org/issue20466

--------------

Coming to the point,as the theme of the project which i am interested in
and the theme for the IDLE GSOC `13 projects by Jayakrishnan and Phil
Webster are the same,  i have a few questions to ask the python
mentors/devs.

1.What will be the scope of the idle gsoc 2014?By scope,i want to
 know,whether i will be expected to continue the work done in 2013, or
start afresh.

2. If i were to start afresh,i have explored the following two
possibilities,

      a)Code recommender feature for IDLE - Similar to the feature in
Eclipse but made for Python(would work from the shell or in IDLE).As an
example of how it would work,we could think of it as a web api, which would
return information about most used functions in a module.It would help
beginners and experts alike to make better use of their dev time.It would
also go a long way in making python even more social.If any questions on
this proposal,i am looking forward to answer it. (I would like to know the
community's opinion on this,GSOC or otherwise)If this generates a positive
response, i will immediately come up with a plan to develop it.

      b)Working on a project to integrate a passive checker like pyflakes
with the ability to highlight and possibly correct errors on-the-fly and on
demand.Automatically integrate the above feature to work on
folders/directories, selection of files ,projects etc.

2.If i were to continue the work done in gsoc 2013,would it involve

   a)building on features for PEP8(or other style checker,though after
reading http://bugs.python.org/issue18704  i am inclined to believe it is
not a must have atm. )

  b)extending the unittest framework. Would i be completing(or to an
extent) , the missing tests in idlelib/idle_test?What would be the
priorities?

  c)features which don't seem to have been completed from gsoc 2013 like
line numbering,improving cursor behavior and making right click more
intuitive.(Anything gsoc 13 related which i have missed out?)

--------------

I believe from the abstracts of  GSOC 13 projects which were selected,that
, i am expected to increase test coverage for idle AND  add a new feature .
Is my understanding correct?

I would like to know whom i can contact(mentors) if have questions about
the proposal writing and/or other technical questions relating to GSOC 14.

I would also like to come up with overall outline based on your feedback so
that it can critiqued before i submit the application on the google page.

Awaiting your replies.

Saimadhav Heblikar(sahutd)

Bug Tracker username: sahutd (http://bugs.python.org/user18939)

Email : saimadhavheblikar at gmail.com