[Python-Dev] PEP 463: Exception-catching expressions

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 00:33:52 CET 2014

On 28 Feb 2014 05:56, "Chris Angelico" <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 6:36 AM, Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com>
wrote:
> > +1
> >
> >     f() except ((TypeError, AttributeError): "No value")
> >
> > is a nice extension to the idea of
> >
> >     value = expr except (
> >         Exception1: default1,
> >         Exception2: default2,
> >         Exception3: default3,
> >    )
> >
> > Which I've liked since I first saw it, as it neatly solves handling
multiple
> > except clauses.
>
> You can already list multiple exception types. The definition of the
> exception_list is exactly as per the try/except statement (bar the
> 'as' keyword, which I would love to see implemented some day).

Note that this example is covering the deferred case of multiple except
clauses that resolve to different values, not the already handled case of
multiple exception types that resolve to the same value.

Anyway, even if you choose not to switch the parenthesis requirement in
PEP, it should at least make the "colon as in dict display, not as in suite
introduction" comparison, and note this as an alternative proposal for the
required parentheses.

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com