[Python-Dev] 2.x vs 3.x survey results

John Yeuk Hon Wong gokoproject at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 05:20:24 CET 2014

On 1/4/14 10:42 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Luca Sbardella <luca.sbardella at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> you are my heroes but this survey is quite useless, can you include more
>> people?
> The survey cohort was self-selected from those who read the forums where
> it was posted.
>
>> I wasn't aware of it so many thousands of python users.
> That statement confuses me. Were you aware of it, or not? How did you
> become aware of it?
>
>> And after that, you are well aware that Python 3 or 2 is becoming a
>> liability, just stick with one, anyone (3) at this point.
> The policy of the Python core developers is quite clear, and has been
> for many years: Python 2 is a dead end, and Python 2.7 (released
> 2010-07-03, 3½ years ago) is the last Python 2.
>
> Python 2.7 is the last of the Python 2 line, there will never be new
> Python 2 features <URL:http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0404/>, everyone
> should migrate to Python 3.
>
> That is already the Python core developers's published policy. So, to
> whom are you speaking here on the Python core developers' forum?
>
>> I don't want to go and learn a new language, please.
> Great! If you already know Python, then there is very little (certainly
> not “a new language”) different to move from Python 2.7 to Python 3.
>
> Enjoy!

I think it helps Luca and many others (including myself) if there is a
reference of the difference between 2.7 and Python 3.3+.
There are PEPs and books, but is there any such long list of references?

If not, should we start investing in one? I know the basic one such as
xrange and range, items vs iteritems, izip vs zip that sort of uniform
syntax/library inclusion difference.

If there is such reference available?
Yeuk Hon