[Python-Dev] 2.x vs 3.x survey results

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Sun Jan 5 18:23:45 CET 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 3:08 AM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 5:20 AM, John Yeuk Hon Wong
> <gokoproject at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think it helps Luca and many others (including myself) if there is a
>> reference of the difference between 2.7 and Python 3.3+.
>
> Not specifically for 2.7 and 3.3, no. This is a fairly complete list:
>
> http://python3porting.com/differences.html
>
>> There are PEPs and books, but is there any such long list of references?
>>
>> If not, should we start investing in one? I know the basic one such as
>> xrange and range, items vs iteritems, izip vs zip that sort of uniform
>> syntax/library inclusion difference.
>>
>> If there is such reference available?
>
> I'm honestly despairing that people still don't know that there is a
> free book on the topic. I have no idea how to increase the knowledge
> on this point.

I think we collectively need better SEO, or something like that.
Python 3 would be in a better place if people actually knew the
current state of things, versus asking people on "Hacker News".

I constantly see people claiming they are stuck on Python 2 until
NumPy, SciPy, and matplotlib are ported. Many of these people state
they would love to use Python 3 if it weren't for those projects.
However, those projects have all been ported -- and the first two have
been available for several years now.

The same goes for differences documents. I think 15 of us have written
such documents, most of which cross-reference the other documents.
Somehow very few people seem to know about any of them.