[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] Python 3.4.0b2

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon Jan 6 05:06:49 CET 2014

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 19:32:15 -0800, Bob Hanson <d2mp1a9 at newsguy.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 21:09:53 -0600, Tim Peters wrote:
> > So it's just Akamai caching content.  Common as mud.  Can't say
> > specifically what was being cached, but it _could_ be that your ISP
> > contracts with Akamai.
>
> Still not following *why* this should be happening. I was
> installing from my harddrive -- nothing needed to be cached as
> far as I was concerned. Indeed, I would normally think I could
> install while offline -- and often do on my PCs which are
> "air-gapped."
>
> Still wondering why, all of a sudden after years of using a
> firewalled msiexec.exe, I get it now trying to connect out while
> installing 3.4.0b2 from my harddrive...?

The ensurepip developers will have to say for sure, but my understanding
is that it does *not* go out to the network.  On the other hand, it is
conceivable that pip 1.5, unlike the earlier version in Beta1, is doing
some sort of "up to date check" that it shouldn't be doing in the
ensurepip scenario.

I presume you did have the installer install pip.  If you haven't
already, You might try reinstalling and unchecking that option, and see
if it msiexec still tries to go out to the network.  That would confirm
it is ensurepip that is the issue (although that does seem most likely).

--David