[Python-Dev] RFC: PEP 460: Add bytes % args and bytes.format(args) to Python 3.5

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 10:59:20 CET 2014

On 7 January 2014 09:40, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> Very nice, thanks.  If I was to make a blasphemous suggestion I would
> even target it for Python 3.4.  (No, seriously, this is a big issue
> - see the recent discussion by Armin - and the big names involved show
> that it is a major holdup of 3.x uptake.)  It would of course depend
> a lot on how much code from unicode formatting can be retained or
> adapted as opposed to a rewrite from scratch.

Will the relevant projects actually support only 2.X and 3.4/5+? If
they expect to or have to support 3.2 or 3.3, then this change isn't
actually going to help them much. If they will only support versions
of Python 3 containing this change, then it may well be worth
considering the impact of delaying it till 3.5.

Paul.