[Python-Dev] General Q&A regarding Python 3, adoption etc.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 11:16:01 CET 2014

On 7 Jan 2014 08:03, "Antoine Pitrou" <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 09:16:10 +1000
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > For anyone that isn't already aware, I wrote a Q & A about Python 3 last
> > year (in response to an article about how we should have fixed the GIL
> > instead of Unicode), and I've updated it extensively over the past
several
> > days due to Alex's misunderstanding of the objectives for Python 3.4 as
> > well as Armin's latest piece on the increased difficulties in writing
wire
> > protocol handling code.
>
> A couple remarks:
>
> - the unicode section would gain being a little more on the practical
>   side; for example the "surrogateescape" paragraph is an obscure and
>   theoretical way of saying unicode filepaths (etc.) are fully
>   supported on all platforms
>
> - also, it doesn't seem very clear that the primary string type (str)
>   is now unicode; this has important consequences, for example
>   non-ASCII exception messages work fine in 3.x while they were very
>   delicate to work with in 2.x
>
> - when discussing Twisted / gevent alternatives, you should also mention
>   Tornado, which is especially interesting because it works on both
>   Python 2 and Python 3, and therefore presents a nice migration path

Thanks, I've addressed these and a couple of other points people brought up
(e.g. it is cx-freeze that supports Py3k, not py2exe).

> - perhaps you should discuss the idea that "uptake is slow", because
>   the numbers are rather conflicting on that point; see what I wrote in
>   https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2014-January/663922.html
>   and also Chris Angelico's elaboration in
>   https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2014-January/664003.html

I haven't incorporated these observations yet, but I will. It ties in
closely with the point that bootstrapping the new Python 3 application
ecosystem with cross-version libraries and frameworks is not the same thing
as migrating the existing Python 2 *application* ecosystem, and the latter
is expected to take *much* longer (since existing Python 2 users will have,
of necessity, already worked around or avoided the bugs and limitations of
that version of the language).

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com