[Python-Dev] RFC: PEP 460: Add bytes % args and bytes.format(args) to Python 3.5

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Jan 7 21:50:24 CET 2014

On Jan 07, 2014, at 05:16 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>Given the low adoption rates for Python 3 it would not surprise me if people
>who are hampered by the lack of this change are willing to wait until a Python
>version is released that has it.

If that means waiting until 3.5, then I disagree.  The Python interpreter is
the lowest rung of the food chain, so there's a natural delay in having
required support percolate up.  Imposing another 18 month delay would be
unfortunate.  (Obviously, if technical matters prevent it, that's another
thing.)

-Barry