[Python-Dev] Changing Clinic's output

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Wed Jan 8 00:24:33 CET 2014

On 01/07/2014 12:46 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> Maybe overkill but why not follow 3 with 2 at the end of the file, the
> marker to be a very clear /* Generated by Argument Clinic - DO NOT
> EDIT BELOW THIS LINE */ or whatever wording is appropriate in this case.

For what it's worth, if we use the "accumulator" approach I propose that
the generated code doesn't go at the very end of the file. Instead, I
suggest they should go *near* the end, below the implementations of the
module / class methods, but above the methoddef/type structures and the
module init function.

My reasoning: when I navigate CPython C files implementing a module or a
type, when I know what entry point I want I just search for its name.
When I don't know what I want, I jump to the end, then scroll up until I
find the name in the init function or the structures.  So I wouldn't
want the code at the very end; that would screw up that navigation mode.

//arry/