[Python-Dev] The Great Argument Clinic Conversion Derby is now open!

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Wed Jan 8 02:32:26 CET 2014

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 16:46:59 -0800, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to get a huge chunk of work done on Python 3.4 in the next,
> oh, week-and-a-half, and I could use your help.  I'm trying to convert a
> whole bunch of call sites in Python to use "Argument Clinic", a new
> build utility for Python that makes argument parsing code much easier to
> write.  But I don't think I can do it all myself.
>
> To learn more about what Argument Clinic is, and get a sense for what
> the work will be like, please read the howto in the documentation:
>
>     http://docs.python.org/dev/howto/clinic.html
>

> How can you help?  I've split up the files in the Python source tree
> between about two dozen issues on the issue tracker, each having roughly
> 50 call sites in them to examine*.  You can find the issues by searching
> for the word "Derby".  This URL should do the trick:
>
>     http://bugs.python.org/issue?%40search_text=Derby&ignore=file%3Acontent&title=&%40columns=title&id=&%40columns=id&stage=&creation=&creator=&activity=&%40columns=activity&%40sort=activity&actor=&nosy=&type=&components=&versions=&dependencies=&assignee=&keywords=&priority=&%40group=priority&status=1&%40columns=status&resolution=&nosy_count=&message_count=&%40pagesize=50&%40startwith=0&%40queryname=&%40old-queryname=&%40action=search
>
> To participate, find an issue that isn't assigned to anyone and assign
> it to yourself.  (As far as I can tell there's no way to search for
> issues owned by "nobody", so you'll have to hunt around.)  Once you own
> an issue, open up those files, search for "PyArg_ParseTuple(args" and
> "PyArg_ParseTupleAndKeywords(args", and start converting!

Note: you can still help even if you are not someone who can assign
the issue to themselves.  Just make a note that you want to work on the
issue in a message posted to the issue.  Obviously, everyone should also
check for such messages before picking one to work on...

If all the issues get claimed, we can start worrying about divvying
up the work further.  That would be a nice problem to have :)