[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] Python 3.4.0b2

Bob Hanson d2mp1a9 at newsguy.com
Wed Jan 8 15:43:01 CET 2014

[Top-post fixed (use-case is an exception to the GvR rule ;-) )
and some attributions restored with my additional comments
following for the ease of future readers.]

TL;DR: Outbound-connection attempts seem to be happening only to
me, therefore, most likely not a Python problem -- but some
problem at my end. Thanks to all.

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 05:43:38 -1000, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 5:29 AM, Bob Hanson <d2mp1a9 at newsguy.com> wrote:
>
> > [For the record: I'm running 32bit Windows XP (Pro) SP2 and
> > installing "for all users."]
> >
> > TL;DR: No matter what I tried this morning re uninstalling and
> > reinstalling 3.4.0b2, pip or no pip, MSI still tried to connect
> > to the Akamai URLs.

> > > The ensurepip developers will have to say for sure, but my understanding
> > > is that it does *not* go out to the network.  On the other hand, it is
> > > conceivable that pip 1.5, unlike the earlier version in Beta1, is doing
> > > some sort of "up to date check" that it shouldn't be doing in the
> > > ensurepip scenario.
> > >
> > > I presume you did have the installer install pip.
> >
> > To be honest, I forgot all about pip [...] didn't
> > even notice a checkbox for that option.
> >
> > > If you haven't already, You might try reinstalling and unchecking
> > > that option, and see if it msiexec still tries to go out to the
> > > network.  That would confirm it is ensurepip that is the issue
> > > (although that does seem most likely).
> >
> > [...snip synopsis of various uninstall-reinstall dances...]
> >
> > So, whatever I have tried -- pip or no pip -- msiexec.exe still
> > attempts to connect to those Akamai URLs.
>
> Since MSIEXEC.EXE is a legit binary (not coming from our packager) and
> Akamai is a legitimate company (MS most likely has an agreement with
> them), at this point I would assume that there's something that
> MSIEXEC.EXE wants to get from Akamai, which is unintentionally but
> harmlessly triggered by the Python install. Could it be checking for
> upgrades?

When I read this comment of yours, Guido, I immediately started
wondering about this. You may well be right -- indeed, I have a
very old install (c.2007) which has not been updated (other than
one or three new MS "drivers").

Perhaps the Python 3.4.0b2 MSI installer uses a new capability,
which, as you say, causes the installer to at least attempt to
upgrade...?

In any event, as there's been no other reports, this seems to be
something happening only to me. As such, it seems to be not a
Python problem, but some misconfiguration on my own system, say.

If I retain interest in investigating this, and if I *do* find an
actual problem with Python, I'll post again.

Thanks go to you, Guido, as well as to Tim and all the others who
helped me with this.

Regards,
Bob Hanson

--