[Python-Dev] Changing Clinic's output

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Wed Jan 8 17:29:59 CET 2014

On 01/08/2014 08:04 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org
> <mailto:larry at hastings.org>> wrote:
>
>     Yep.  And what I was proposing is much the same, except there are
>     a couple extra lines in the "generated code" section.  I'd keep
>     the #define for the methoddef there, and add a prototype for the
>     generated parsing function (_pickle_Pickler_dump) and the docstring.
>

> I assume that's for flexibility in case someone has their module
> structured in a way that doesn't lend itself to having it all
> accumulated at the end of the file? Or is there something I'm overlooking?

No, you're not overlooking anything, that's why.  It's for files that
have getsetdef / methoddef / typeobject structures all over the place
instead of keeping them all at the end.  My mindset is trying to avoid
requiring big changes for Argument Clinic support like "step 87: now
move all your getsetdef / methoddef / typeobject to the end of your
file, below the accumulator output block".  Argument Clinic is
contributing enough churn as it is don'tchathink!

//arry/