[Python-Dev] Python3 "complexity"

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Jan 10 00:14:42 CET 2014

On 01/09/2014 02:54 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 9 January 2014 22:08, Ethan Furman wrote:
>>
>> For example:  b'\x01\x00\xd1\x80\xd1\83\xd0\x80'
>>
>> If that were decoded using latin1 how would I then get the first two bytes
>> to the integer 256 and the last six bytes to their Cyrillic meaning?
>> (Apologies for not testing myself, short on time.)
>
> I cannot conceive why you would.

Sorry, I was too short with my example.  My use case is binary files, with ASCII metadata and binary metadata, as well
as ASCII-encoded numeric values, binary-coded numeric values, ASCII-encoded boolean values, and who-knows-what-(before
checking the in-band metadata)-encoded text.  I have to process all of it, and before we say "It's just a documentation
issue" I want to make sure it /is/ just a documentation issue.

--
~Ethan~