[Python-Dev] Python3 "complexity"

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Fri Jan 10 16:54:59 CET 2014

> One idea we're considering for Python 3.5 is to have a report of
> "ascii" on a POSIX OS imply the surrogateescape error handler (at
> least for the standard streams, and perhaps in other contexts), since
> the OS reporting the POSIX/C locale almost certainly indicates a
> configuration error rather than intentional behaviour.

On FreeBSD users apparently get the C locale by default. I don't think I've
configured anything special during the install:

freebsd-amd64# adduser
Username: testuser
Full name:
Uid (Leave empty for default):
Login group [testuser]:
Login group is testuser. Invite testuser into other groups? []:
Login class [default]:
Shell (sh csh tcsh bash rbash nologin) [sh]:
Home directory [/home/testuser]:
Home directory permissions (Leave empty for default):
Use password-based authentication? [yes]: no
Lock out the account after creation? [no]:
Username   : testuser
Password   : <disabled>
Full Name  :
Uid        : 1003
Class      :
Groups     : testuser
Home       : /home/testuser
Home Mode  :
Shell      : /bin/sh
Locked     : no
OK? (yes/no): yes
adduser: INFO: Successfully added (testuser) to the user database.
Add another user? (yes/no): no
Goodbye!
freebsd-amd64# su - testuser
$ locale