[Python-Dev] RFC: PEP 460: Add bytes % args and bytes.format(args) to Python 3.5

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Jan 10 23:34:02 CET 2014

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 17:20:32 -0500
"Eric V. Smith" <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:

> Isn't the point of the PEP to make it easier to port 2.x code to 3.5?
> Is
> there really existing code like this in 2.x?

No, but so what? The point of the PEP is not to allow arbitrary
Python 2 code to run without modification under Python 3. There's a
reason we broke compatibility, and there's no way we're gonna undo that.

> I think what we're trying to do is to make code that looks like:
>    b'%d %d obj ... stream' % (10, 0)
> work in both 2.x and 3.5.

That's not what *I* am trying to do. As far as I'm concerned the aim of
the PEP is to ease bytes interpolation, not to provide some kind of
magical construct that will solve everyone's porting problems.

Regards

Antoine.