[Python-Dev] Python3 "complexity"

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 10 23:06:30 CET 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 6:05 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Using the 'latin-1' to mean unknown encoding can easily result
> > in Mojibake (unreadable text) entering your application with
> > dangerous effects on your other text data.
>
> Agreed. The latin-1 suggestion is purely for people who object to
> learning how to handle the encodings in their data more accurately.

I'm not so sure -- it could be used (abused?) for that, but I'm suggesting
it be used for mixed ascii-binary data. I don't know that there IS a
"right" way to do that -- at least not an efficient or easy to read and
write one.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov