[Python-Dev] RFC: PEP 460: Add bytes % args and bytes.format(args) to Python 3.5

Juraj Sukop juraj.sukop at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 01:13:13 CET 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 12:49 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>wrote:

> Also, when you say you've never encountered UTF-16 text in PDFs, it
> sounds like those people who've never encountered any non-ASCII data in
> their programs.

Let me clarify: one does not think in "writing text in Unicode"-terms in
PDF. Instead, one records the sequence of "character codes" which
correspond to "glyphs" or the glyph IDs directly. That's because one
Unicode character may have more than one glyph and more characters can be
shown as one glyph.