[Python-Dev] RFC: PEP 460: Add bytes % args and bytes.format(args) to Python 3.5

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 05:09:50 CET 2014

To avoid implicit conversion between str and bytes, I propose adding only
limited %-format,
not .format() or .format_map().

"limited %-format" means:

%c accepts integer or bytes having one length.
%r is not supported
%s accepts only bytes.
%a is only format accepts arbitrary object.

And other formats is same to str.

INADA Naoki  <songofacandy at gmail.com>