[Python-Dev] RFC: PEP 460: Add bytes % args and bytes.format(args) to Python 3.5

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Jan 11 16:50:27 CET 2014

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 01:34:26 +1000

> Yes, it bloody well does. The number of people who have told me that
> using Python 3 is what allowed them to finally understand how Unicode
> works vastly exceeds the number of wire protocol and file format devs
> that have complained about working with binary formats being
> significantly less tolerant of the "it's really like ASCII text"
> mindset.

+1 to what Nick says. Forcing some constructs to be explicit leads
people to know about the issue and understand it, rather than sweep it
under the carpet as Python 2 encouraged them to do.

Yes, if you're dealing with a file format or network protocol, you'd
better know in which charset its textual information is being expressed.
It's a very sane question to ask yourself!

Regards

Antoine.