[Python-Dev] Changing Clinic's output

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sun Jan 12 04:35:34 CET 2014

On 01/08/2014 07:08 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> How hard would it be to put together some sample branches that provide
> concrete examples of the various options?
>
> My own opinion could easily be influenced by having some hands-on time with
> actual code, and I suspect even Guido could be influenced if he could pull
> some things up in his editor and take a look around.

I've uploaded a prototype here:

    https://bitbucket.org/larry/python-clinic-buffer

It's a clone of Python trunk, so if you already have a trunk handy,
clone that first then "hg pull -u" from the above and it'll go a lot
quicker.

The prototype adds some commands to Argument Clinic that allow you to
specify where each bit of its output goes.  You have four choices:

  * You can write to the output block as before.
  * You can buffer up the text for writing out later in the same file.
  * You can write to a file on the side.
  * Or you can throw it away.

To learn how to run your own experiments, read "CLINIC.BUFFER.NOTES.TXT"
in the root of the repository.  For your tl;dr pleasure I've included
recipes for the proposed approaches so far.

I don't propose to check in the prototype in its current state.  But it
should be sufficient for running everybody's experiments.  (If there's
something you want to try that my prototype doesn't support, contact me
and I should be able to throw in a feature for you.)

Happy experimenting,

//arry/