[Python-Dev] RFC: PEP 460: Add bytes % args and bytes.format(args) to Python 3.5

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 08:51:41 CET 2014

On 12 January 2014 04:38, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> But!  Our goal should be to help people convert to Python3.  So how can
> we find out what the specific problems are that real-world programs are
> facing, look at the *actual code*, and help that project figure out the
> best way to make that code work in both python2 and python3?
>
> That seems like the best way to find out what needs to be added to
> python3 or pypi:  help port the actual code of the developers who are
> running into problems.
>
> Yes, I'm volunteering to help with this, though of course I can't promise
> exactly how much time I'll have available.

And, as has been the case for a long time, the PSF stands ready to
help with funding credible grant proposals for Python 3 porting
efforts. I believe some of the core devs (including David?) do
freelance and contract work, so that's an option definitely worth
considered if a project would like to support Python 3, but are having
difficulty getting their with purely volunteer effort.

Cheers,
Nick.