[Python-Dev] PEP 460 reboot

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Mon Jan 13 06:45:00 CET 2014

>> >I'm not sure about the quotes.  Would anyone ever actually want those in the
>> >byte stream?
> Perhaps not, but it's a hint that you should probably think about an
> encoding. It's symmetric with how '%s' % b'x' returns "b'x'". Think of
> it as payback time.:-)

+1

Quotes in the stream are a great debug hint, without blowing up.

+1 to the whole reboot solution, also. It cures the problems people are
having, and there is no ambiguity.

So then the question is whether to proceed with 3.4, delay this feature
to 3.5, or to delay 3.4 to include this feature, both have been
discussed, with the justification for the latter being to make 3.4 the
ultimate Python 3 porting target for recalcitrant module authors, sooner
than later.