[Python-Dev] PEP 460: allowing %d and %f and mojibake

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Mon Jan 13 07:06:27 CET 2014

On 1/12/2014 8:00 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:

> Okay, I've thought somewhat.  Under the definition above would it be
> fair to say that Db3Table (a class in my dbf module) is a boundary
> type?  It sits between the actual file and the program, and transforms
> bytes into actual Python types.

Yes.  That is exactly what a boundary type is. It doesn't matter whether
it is a file format or a wire protocol format on the non-Python side,
the sequence of bytes is defined, using methods that are not directly
corresponding to python data types (if they do correspond, the boundary
type is trivial).