[Python-Dev] PEP 460 reboot

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Jan 13 08:14:08 CET 2014

On Jan 13, 2014, at 1:59 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 January 2014 16:52, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 13, 2014, at 12:45 AM, Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com> wrote:
>>
>> So then the question is whether to proceed with 3.4, delay this feature to
>> 3.5, or to delay 3.4 to include this feature, both have been discussed, with
>> the justification for the latter being to make 3.4 the ultimate Python 3
>> porting target for recalcitrant module authors, sooner than later.
>>

>> I really hope this can make it in 3.4, needing to wait another 2 years or so
>> until this is available would be a shame.
>
> Indeed, it would be a shame to have to wait. Fortunately, people don't
> even need to wait until the release of Python 3.4, they can instead
> try to help out with the asciicompat project, which aims to provide
> this functionality in Python 3.3+:
> https://github.com/jeamland/asciicompat
>
> All it takes is to let go of the idea "I wish the Python 3 bytes type
> was more like the Python 2 str type" and instead think "hmm, the
> Python 3 bytes type doesn't seem like a great fit for my use case,
> maybe I need a different type”.

It’s almost a fine fit for the usecase afaict the major thing it’s missing
is an easy way to handle this last use case. I don’t see how this proposal
is any different than cases such as int(b”1”). ASCII is already special,
giving an area that Python3 has made things worse a better way forward
isn’t comprising the text model, it’s recognizing the realities of the world.

> Regards,
> Nick.
>
> --

Donald Stufft