[Python-Dev] PEP460 thoughts from a Mercurial dev

Augie Fackler raf at durin42.com
Mon Jan 13 18:37:19 CET 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 12:34 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 8:51 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 13 January 2014 23:57, Augie Fackler <raf at durin42.com> wrote:
> >> 1) What do we need in terms of functionality
> >>
> >> Best guess, %s, %d, and %f. I've not done a full audit of the code, but
> some
> >> limited looking over the grep hits for % in .py files suggests I'm
> right,
> >> and we could even do without %f (we only use that for 'hg --time'
> output,
> >> which we could do in unicode).
> >
> > I think PEP 460 will have you covered there, or hopefully asciistr on
> 3.3+
>
> I'm confused on how PEP 460 would help -- Augie mentioned %d, which it
> excludes.

Yes - not having %d makes this much much less useful to me.

For my part, it'd probably be fine if we could do %s (which would handle an
RHS that was bytes, and only bytes, no handing of str or __bytes__-type
stuff at all) and %d (with all the usual format modifiers, and would result
in an ascii-compatible sequence of bytes all the time).